Do you have friends who occasionally get together for a Girl’s Night of game playing – Bunco, Yahtzee, card games etc…? When your invite comes along do you think, “I’m too tired to go” or “I have more important things to do” or “I don’t want to go, I don’t know anyone.”?
Well, we hear you on all 3 of these excuses not to go but, we’re here to give you 5 reasons why a game night with friends is so important. But, first, we have 1 question for you:
As you plan out your week with work meetings, home schooling, errand running and obligations, are you making sure that you’re scheduling time for fun…for you?
Fun, laughter and connection to others is part of what makes life fulfilling and meaningful & helps to keep your mental, and physical, health in check. And we all want that, don’t we?
So, with that, let’s take a look at 5 ways that you can ‘find your me through empowerment of we’ (our PWS tagline!) through a game night with friends:
- Improves Relationships: Not only are you spending time with others but, you are building trust through teamwork, creativity + partnership that sometimes happens through some types of games. We don’t know anyone who can’t benefit from having good relationships, do you? And who knows, maybe you’ll even create some new, healthy relationships, too, right?
- Relieves Stress, Anxiety and Depression: People who are willing to engage in the company of others in a fun, upbeat atmosphere such as a game night will experience the benefit of laughter, which releases many ‘good mood’ hormones. Laughter reminds us that we are human and enjoy feeling good. Life tends to be a bit lighter with laughter, don’t you agree?
- Stimulates healthy mental function + relaxation: When you use your brain in new + different ways, you challenge your brain to think and process things differently. In other words, you help your brain to get out of the potential rut of the same day-to-day activities. It’s great to exercise your brain once in a while and it gets to enjoy relaxing after all of that fun thinking!
- Improves Sleep (yes, true!): When was the last time that you had a night with friends or loved ones that you spent the time laughing until your sides hurt? It can be almost exhausting after the fun is all said and done, right? While you’re having yourself some genuine fun, the laughter is naturally lowering the cortisol levels in your body, which helps sleep more soundly at night. Need better sleep? Have some fun!
- Makes You Happy: Life is short. Having experiences that help you to build healthy relationships, create memories that bring you joy when remembered, and maybe even help you to laugh like a child again are worth every moment of your time. Play the games, live life, connect with others and be happy!
When are you next going to carve out time for your self-care with a night of being social, building relationships and being your most relaxed and happy self?
Check out our Current Events calendar for our next Girlfriend’s Game Night and join us!